There are certain things in the world that every household should never be without due to their myriad of uses that mean having them on hand can often be a solution to that unexpected problem.
Coconut oil is definitely one of these ‘wonder- essentials’ that can help with anything from being a superior cooking oil to keeping hair glossy. But there are some uses that we bet you could never have imagined and here is our top 10 of the weird and wonderful things to do with coconut oil.
1. Swishing melted coconut oil in the mouth helps to reduce levels of harmful bacteria that can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Known as ‘oil pulling’, this method is already used in many coconut abundant countries is a proven method of maintaining good oral health.
2. Coconut oil may be effective in the fight against Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Its ability to increase the production of ketones means that it provides energy for the brain.
3. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties that make it a good thing to have on hand for that nasty insect bite. Simply massage into the affected area for relief under way of reducing redness, irritation and inflammation.
4. It is no surprise that in such a list that stain removal makes an appearance. Mix equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda into a paste, apply and leave for five minutes before removing.
5. Coconut oil is believed to be effective in removing that stubborn, hard to shift belly fat. And as it is also believed it can control the appetite, including coconut oil in your daily diet may well help your weight loss regime.
6. In countries where the coconut has been used in a variety of ways for centuries, coconut oil is often used as a deodorant. As it has antibacterial properties, it is a highly effective and natural way to combat that unwanted odour.
7. Looking to make your old wood furniture shine? If coconut water does the same for hair then it is no surprise that is brilliant on wooden furniture. Rub thoroughly into the wood and buff to a shine with a cloth.
8. Applying coconut oil to dry lips is an effective way to get rid of that annoying chapping as well as being exotically tasty too.
9. Coconut oil is a brilliant cuticle conditioner. Simply massage well into the cuticles to get rid of that ragged appearance.
10. It is believed that coconut oil may help heal wounds. Thoughts to boost the production of collagen, coconut oil encourages the body’s natural cell renewal process which encourages you skin to form.